PR & Marketing Manager
Location: Gladstone’s Library, Church Lane, Hawarden, Flintshire, CH5 3DF
Hours of work: Five days a week (9am – 5pm) with occasional evening and weekend work
Gladstone’s Library is a Grade I listed, Prime Ministerial, residential library in Hawarden, Flintshire. It is a unique heritage charity with an internationally significant collection, and is an exciting and expanding cultural destination. Gladstone’s Library is a professional yet non-corporate organisation which benefits from 26 boutique bedrooms, five modern conference rooms and a bistro, Food for Thought. It has a year-round programme of events and courses. A rare and exciting opportunity has arisen to be a part of the management team.
The ideal candidate will embrace the ethos of Gladstone’s Library. They will have a background in PR and marketing and will be confident to promote the work of Gladstone’s Library in a variety of ways.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Raising the profile of the Library through sourcing and securing PR opportunities, creating press releases and liaising effectively with local, regional and national press contacts
- Management of social media strategy and social media profiles
- The production of digital and print newsletter communications and maintenance of our contact database in compliance with GDPR regulations
- The design, production and coordination of printed promotional materials, and management of brand assets
- The management of gladstoneslibrary.org and CMS including content creation, online box office event set-up, ticket sales management and search engine optimisation
- Effectively liaise with web development agency
- Management of a team of Graduate Work Experience students on set Marketing days, allocating a workload and working on their skills development
- Confident representation of the Library at networking events and in business groups
Essential skills, experience and characteristics:
- Background in public relations, marketing or journalism
- Able to confidently source and build relationships with media contacts and create opportunities to promote the Library
- Experience within a not-for-profit organisation (paid or voluntary)
- Excellent and proven verbal and written communication in English with a high attention to detail
- An ability to independently multitask and prioritise with excellent time management and organisational skills
- Creativity and ability to adapt marketing tone for various audiences
- Personable and able to work closely with all departments in the Library to ensure the promotion of our facilities is pro-active and effective
- Experience with Adobe suite including InDesign or a comparable design package
- Competence managing social media campaigns on multiple platforms
- University graduate in a relevant subject
- Confidence and enthusiasm to manage and coach our Graduates
Desirable skills, experience and characteristics:
- A passion for libraries, heritage and culture
- Understanding and competence with social media scheduling platforms including Hootsuite
- Experience in using film-editing software
What we will offer:
- The opportunity to be an important part of a unique and growing organisation
- Responsibility for your daily workload and the chance to experience various aspects of marketing, PR and social media on a daily basis
- The chance to express your creativity and develop new skills
- A comfortable, sociable and stimulating work environment
- A good work-life balance with regular hours (occasional events) and subsidised meals available
- Free staff parking
- Opportunities for networking, developing business contacts
- Access to our library of over 150,000 printed items
Closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday, 22nd November 2019
Interviews will take place on 27th / 28th November 2019
Start date: Monday, 6th January 2020
To apply please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also prepare a local press release, and details of how and where you would circulate this, relating to Christmas dining opportunities at Gladstone’s Library. Details of Christmas dining may be found at gladstoneslibrary.org. Please include this with your application.
Graduate Work Experience
Gladstone’s Library’s Graduate Work Experience programme is looking to recruit for a period of three months from Friday, 3rd January 2020.
This post will suit up to three recent graduates looking for a career in libraries, archives, and information science, but who have not yet taken the committed step of a postgraduate scheme or traineeship. For more information on the Graduate Work Experience programme click here.
During the programme, the successful candidates will gain experience across the institution:
- In our Reading Rooms, helping the team maintain one of the UK’s finest research collections. Candidates assist with many of the key operational tasks, such as cataloguing and processing items, archive inventory, digitising records, and handling new acquisitions. They also staff our Enquiry Desk, which is the public face of the Reading Rooms and the main point of assistance for our users. Candidates take a leading role delivering Glimpses;
- In our Marketing department, drafting posts for social media, writing press releases, and assisting with the creation and delivery of the Library’s marketing programme;
- Candidates take two evening ‘duty’ shifts (9.15pm – 10.30pm) per week. During this time they perform a security round.
- Our Graduate Work Experience candidates play a vital role in Library life. They are seen as a key part of the Library’s residential community and we expect them to be on the premises at the Library throughout the placement, except for their agreed days and weekends off.
We are looking for candidates who are:
- Accurate, flexible and committed to excellent customer service;
- Reasonably adept at social media;
- Capable with office programmes such as Excel;
- Happy to work in a small team, and good at managing their own time;
- Unfazed by public speaking;
- Ready and willing to learn.
We are proud to say that many of those who have been with us in these positions go on to positions in libraries and archives, or join prestigious postgraduate schemes. For some accounts of what those on previous placements are up to now, please see here.
Three Graduate Work Experience students share a self-contained flat on the Library’s first floor. All living costs are included in the placement – utilities, Wi Fi, laundry, and food. You will receive expenses of £100 per month.
There is a rota of overnight duty shifts. These include a lock-up (9.15-10.30pm) and the overnight custody of the on-call phone (used only in the event of emergency such as fire). The hour lock-up and any emergency response are contracted at £9.00 per hour.
This is a full-time position on a rolling rota. It includes some evening and weekend working.
The closing date for this position is 9am on Monday, 18th November.
Interviews will be held Sunday 1st and Monday 2nd December. This will include an overnight stay.
To apply please send a CV and Covering Letter to email@example.com or Elizabeth Newmarch, Gladstone's Library, Church Lane, Hawarden, Flintshire, CH5 3DF.